Pro Tip: If you clean and organize your home during Winter, when Spring gets here you won’t have to do it! Plus, who wants to be stuck inside cleaning when the birds start chirping and the sun starts shining past 4 o’clock?! Not I. So! Without further ado, here are the best (100% FREE!) tips for cleaning and de-cluttering your home today.
- Get rid of things you don’t use! Your local shelter will take all that stuff off your hands and give it to people who need it, assuming it’s in usable condition. An easy way to decide whether or not you need something is if you’ve used it in the last year. With your clothes, you can turn all the hangers around backwards and whenever you wear something, turn the hanger back and after a year, you’ll see just how much you don’t really wear!
- No Junk Drawers. Drawers are so easy to stuff things in. Out of sight out of mind, right? Try using a drawer organizer, or put a non-slip liner in and use small decorative bowls and plates!
- Always work from Top to Bottom. Clean ceiling fans and ceilings first, it will prevent you from having to dust or clean things twice. Vacuum last, and always use a HEPA filter.
- Wipe Everything Down. Walls, windows, kitchen cabinets, shower tile, appliances, TV’s, try one of these household cleaners.
- Wash (or Dry) everything. Wash the bedding, the extra blankets, the curtains if labels allow, throw the pillows in the dryer for 15 minutes. Sprinkle some baking soda on your bare mattress and vacuum it up after 15 minutes. I promise you’ll sleep better tonight.
- Set Limits! Nobody needs forty-two different size screws and throw that magazine away, you’re not going to read it. Let your space allow for limits, if you can’t find a place for it that’s practical, get rid of it.