A fire is always a tragedy, and a fire during the holidays is even worse. The holidays bring about a lot of hazards including plugging a bunch of lights into one surge protector (think Ellen Griswold checking the PLETHORA of plugs in the garage trying to figure out why Clark’s lights aren’t working). Real Christmas trees also raise concerns since watering them is a MUST if you don’t want your tree going up in flames. Here is a quick list to stay safe this Holiday Season!
- Keep trees away from candles, fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources (Fake and Real trees are both flammable!)
- If you have a real tree, water it DAILY!
- Check holiday lights for fraying, bare spots, gaps in the insulation or excessive kinking in the wire
- Turn off all lights and decorations when not in use
- No more than 2 sets of lights should be plugged in to the same outlet
- Keep your lights from dangling where your pets could chew on them
- Keep potential poisonous plants away from pets and kids (Holly, Mistletoe, Amaryllis, Jerusalem Cherry)
- When preparing meals, wash your hands, utensils, sink and anything else that touches raw meat
- Heat all leftovers to at least 165 degrees
- Refrigerate hot and cold leftovers within 2 hours of being served
- Designate a Sober Driver
- Don’t put your travel plans on social media (burglars exist in the cold, too!)
- Clean your Chimney (because how else is Santa supposed to get in??)
The Holidays are stressful, hopefully these tips will save you any unnecessary headaches this Season.